So, you are seeing far too many of those „how to” and „list” headlines and want to try something a little different?
Let us move beyond those all too common headline formulas you see over and over again and add some new weapons to your attention-grabbing arsenal.
1. The Secret(s) of [blank]
This one is used rather often, but that is because it works. Share insider knowledge and translate it into a benefit for the reader.
- The Secret of Successful Podcasting
- The Secrets of Recording Drums
- The Secret of Getting Your Home Loan Approved
2. Little Known Ways to [blank]
A more intriguing (and less common) way of accomplishing the same thing as „The Secret(s) of…” headline.
- Little Known Ways to Save on Your Heating Bill
- Little Known Ways to Hack Google’s Gmail
- Little Known Ways to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely
3. Who Else Wants [blank]?
Starting a headline with „Who Else Wants…” is a classic social proof strategy that implies an already existing consensus desire. While overused in the Internet marketing arena, it still works like gangbusters for other subject matter.
- Who Else Wants Cheaper Car Insurance?
- Who Else Wants a Higher Paying Job?
- Who Else Wants More Fun When on Vacation?
4. Here is a Method That is Helping [blank] to [blank]
Simply identify your target audience and the benefit you can provide them, then fill in the blanks.
- Here is a Method That is Helping Car Owners Save Hundreds on Insurance
- Here is a Method That is Helping People Work Out More Efficiently
- Here is a Method That is Helping Bloggers Write Better Post Titles
5. Here’s a Quick Way to [solve a problem]
People love quick and easy soutions when faced with a nagging problem.
- Here’s a Quick Way to Get Over a Break-up
- Here’s a Quick Way to Potty Train Junior
- Here’s a Quick Way to Write Interesting Ebooks
6. Get Rid of [problem] Once and For All
A classic formula that identifies either a painful problem or an unfulfilled desire that the reader wants to remedy.
- Get Rid of Your Unproductive Work Habits Once and For All
- Get Rid of That Carpet Stain Once and For All
- Get Rid of That Wasps´ Nest Once and For All
7. Now You Can Have [something desirable] [great circumstance]
The is the classic „have your cake and eat it too” headline — and who does not like that?
- Now You Can Quit Your Job and Make Even More Money
- Now You Can Meet Sexy Singles Online Without Spending a Dime
- Now You Can Own a Cool iMac and Still Run Windows
8. [Do something] like [world-class example]
Gatorade made the most of this with the „Be Like Mike” campaign featuring Michael Jordan in the early 1990s.
- Speak French Like a Diplomat
- Party Like Paris Hilton
- Write Songs Like Lady Gaga
9. Have a [or] Build a [blank] You Can Be Proud Of
Appeal to vanity, dissatisfaction, or shame. Enough said.
- Build a Body You Can Be Proud Of
- Have a Garden You Can Be Proud Of
- Build a Blog Network You Can Be Proud Of
10. What Everybody Ought to Know About [blank]
There is big curiosity draw with this type of headline, and it acts almost as a challenge to the reader to go ahead and see if they are missing something.
- What Everybody Ought to Know About Satellite Dishes
- What Everybody Ought to Know About Adjustable Rate Mortgages
- What Everybody Ought to Know About Writing Great Headlines
Find these headline templates useful? Bookmark this page for future reference.